How to Choose Eco-friendly Make Up
Hundreds of years ago women wore make up containing lead, which poisoned them, making them look older underneath the lethal mask, and even slowly killing them. We're a long way from that, but there's still a ways to go before all make up will be eco friendly. You can make this happen sooner, rather than later, by making conscious consumer choices.
- Watch where you shop. There are a lot of good options so that you know you're making yourself beautiful and helping the environment at the same time. The Body Shop was one of the first businesses on the scene campaigning for eco-awareness and against animal testing. They are continually involved in important issues around the world, and have a wide array of make up products that are fun, playful and fabulous. Also, buy organic when you can. Even big department stores carry organic brands with eco-conscious values.
- Buy re-fillable. I used to buy little pots of eye shadow from Mac make up. Now, I have a large case with slots for 24 different colors. Instead of spending 14$ on each eye shadow, I now spend 7$ sand put them in the case that I purchased. Not only will I be saving money in the long run, but I am also saving on packaging as well. It's a win-win; the environment loves it, and I love it, because I have more money, for more colors.
- Use eye pencils with wood casings. The wooden outsides are biodegradeable.
- Choose products made out of plant derivitives. Avoid mascara that is made from petroleum products, and instead go for mineral-packed varieties, made from plants. It's actually better for you, and the environment. Also focus on this when purchasing lipsticks, especially since you end up eating half of it, anyways. Do you want to eat chemicals, or something all natural? It will definitely make you feel better about smoothing on layer after layer on your lips on a night out on the town.
A real girly girl, I am a huge fan of using make up to augment a woman's natural beauty. What can be better than splurging to feel good about yourself, and doubly so because you know your purchases come from a place of knowledge and awareness? Fabulous doesn't have to mean fickle - the fabbest women know what's going on, and aren't afraid to make changes for the positive.
If you want to make your eyes look more round and doll like, you need to concentrate on makeup techniques that help to make narrow and long eyes look more round and open. This can be achieved through several application tips. Consider the following eye shadow, eye liner, mascara and other tips.
Eye shadow tips to make almond eyes look round and doll like
Try to stick to using light eye shadow colors, because they make the eye look bigger overall. Dark colors will make the eyes look more closed in. When applying eye shadow take the color right in to the inner eye and right out to the outer corner. This will help make the eye area look bigger. Also consider using a light reflecting shade of eye shadow under the bottom lid to make your eyes look wider. When applying this keep it thinner at the edges and thicker towards the middle. This helps create a rounder eye effect.
Eye Liner tips to make almond eyes look round and doll like
The first step to make your eyes look rounder is to use a white eyeliner pencil on the inner rim of your lower lid to open up your eye area. When it comes to applying darker shades of eyeliner to define your eyes apply them thickest at the center and taper off towards the inner and outer edge. Avoid taking the line up and out at the outer edge if you are looking to create the effect of more roundness, because this adds to length rather than width and increases the upturned effect many almond shaped eyes have.
Mascara tips to make almond eyes look round and doll like
When applying mascara with the goal of making your eyes look rounder apply more to the center of the eye and less at the corners.
False eye lashes can be very effective at making narrow eyes seem wider and rounder. Crossed over false eyelashes can be well suited for this purpose, especially on very narrow Asian eyes. Look for styles that are longer at the middle of the lash strip and shorter at the ends, because this helps give the eye a round shape. Also consider using false eyelashes on your bottom lashes to make the eyes look more open and rounded. Individual lashes are best applied to the bottom lashes. Once again use longer individual lashes in the center of the eye and shorter lashes on the outer lash line.
Image credit: http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/641506
Avon is a well known company that was founded in 1886. They are a direct selling company of many types of makeup, cosmetics, and beauty and health care products for women and men. Customers can buy Avon products through one of their representatives or from their online store. If someone would like to sell Avon products, they can become a representative.
Avon sells all types of beauty and healthcare products for both men and women. Their main product categories and products are:
- Makeup: Eyes, lips, face, nails and toothbrushes.
- Skin Care: Moisturizers, cleansers & toners, scrubs & masks, eye care, treatments, and travel sizes.
- Bath and Body: Bath & shower, body, foot care, hair care, sun care, and insect repellents.
- Fragrance: Perfume, body sprays, body lotion, shower gel, deodorant, and candles.
- Jewelry: Bracelets, rings, earrings, necklaces, pendants, watches, fine jewelry, fashion jewelry, and spiritual jewelry.
- Fashion: Apparel, footwear, handbags, and accessories.
- Mark by Avon: Makeup, fashion, and jewelry.
- Home: Dining & entertaining, cooking & baking, outdoors & gardening, scent shop, and décor.
- Men: Fragrance, grooming, gifts & gadgets, and jewelry & watches.
- Health and Wellness: Products like Boost, Glow, and Restore, including multivitamins and a handy vitamin finder.
They also have outlet and sales categories.
Avon’s Health and Wellness Promise
Avon promises the following on their health and wellness products.
- Highest quality and naturally sourced
- Non-GMO ingredients
- No preservatives
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Created by industry experts
Everything they sell is an Avon brand, and there is a great variety of their brands for customers to choose from.
Avon Shipping Rates and Policies
Avon offers free standard shipping on all orders of $40 or more in the continental United States, for orders under $40, there is a flat rate cost of $5.95.
Avon ships to all 50 states, but they cannot ship out side of the United States. Customers in the Caribbean and Guam can order Avon products through a representative.
Avon Return Policies
Avon will gladly refund your purchase within 90 days. Just print out the return label and return the product. The return shipping cost of $5.95 will be deducted from your return.
The biggest complaint with Avon is poor customer service. Customers are pleased with their product.
Here is a sample of prices for Avon products:
- Anew Ultimate Multi-Performance Night Cream - $21.99
- Avon Foot Works Intensive Callus Cream - $7.00 and currently on sale for $4.99
- Avon nutraeffects Ageless Eye Cream - $18.00 and currently on sale for $14.99
- Ultra Sexy Lace Body Mist - $15.00
Mary Kay was founded in 1964 and is similar in business to Avon, selling beauty products for men and women. Mary Kay also has representatives selling products, these representatives are called beauty consultants. Customers can buy Mary Kay products through these beauty consultants or online.
Mary Kay Products
Mary Kay sells the following product types:
- Skin Care
- Make Up
- Body & Sun
- Men’s Products
Each main product category has different ways to search for the exact product you are looking for. For example, the Skin Care category can be searched for the following:
- Skin type
- Product type
- Body part targeting areas
The Make Up category is broken into the following categories:
Mary Kay Brands
Like Avon, Mary Kay has their collections, and a good selection of their collections.
Mary Kay Shipping Rates and Policies
Mary Kay apparently offers free shipping with orders of $25 or more. They do not show shipping rates or policies on their website. You will see the shipping when you get to the checkout.
Mary Kay Satisfaction Guarantee
Mary states the following on their website, “If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with any Mary Kay product purchased from an authorized Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant, it will be replaced without charge, exchanged or the full purchase price refunded following its return to your authorized Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant or, if she is no longer active, to the Company with proof of purchase.”
Mary Kay Service
The main complaint is about the beauty consultants, this mainly deals with ordering and paying and never receiving the product. Some consultants were rude when asked where the customer’s products were. It might be best to buy online.
Mary Kay Prices
The following is a sample of Mary Kay products:
- TimeWise Firming Eye Cream - $32.00
- Energizing lotion for legs and feet - $11.00
- Special-Edition Believe + Wonder™ Sail to the Moon™ Fragrance Mist - $18.00
- Clear Proof® Acne System - $49.00
Avon vs. Mary Kay Conclusion
Avon appears to have more products to choose from than Mary Kay does. Because of this, there is a large variety of prices with Avon as compared to Mary Kay.
At first glance, it looks like Mary Kay has higher prices, but that is because Mary Kay sells a number of sets or packages of their products.
How to contour your nose shorter with makeup application:
Contouring is a makeup technique used to change the appearance of your features. It is a technique that can require some practice to get right as you want it to have the desired result without being obvious. So always practice this one, before wearing it out. However, the good news is that contouring a nose shorter is perhaps one of the easier contouring techniques to master.
What you will need is a matt bronzer, or rose toned blush product that is only a few shades darker than your skin tone. It needs to be dark enough to create a shadowed appearance, but no so dark it stands out noticeably against your skin. A makeup consultant can provide you with an appropriate color match.
You apply it to under the tip of the nose and blend it in. If desired set it with a little powder, but make sure you don’t dilute its impact (unless it is looking too full on and then powder is a useful tool to tone down overdone contouring).
Other tips when applying makeup that can make a nose look shorter:
How you apply the rest of your makeup can also influence how people perceive your nose. If you want to make a long nose look shorter, you need to focus on makeup that draws the focus away from the length of your nose.
When it comes to your eye makeup this means concentrating the application to the upper eyelid. This will draw people’s eyes up to your eyes, rather than down the length of your nose. Avoid applying lots of mascara and eyeliner to your lower eyelid as it will draw the eyes down. Also consider applying a highlighting product to the upper outer section of your brow bone. If you are good at applying false eyelashes, a set on the upper lid can be effective at drawing the attention to your eyes and therefore away from the nose.
You might also like to keep your lips subtle, rather than bold so as not to draw the focus to this area.
When it comes to blush, apply it to the upper cheek bones if this works okay with your other facial features. Blush on the lower cheekbones can create more emphasize in the lower half of the face ad is best avoided if you want to detract from the length of your nose.
Image credit: http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/184649
So, you want to blind people when you smile? Now there's a product on the market that claims it can whiten your teeth fast, using light technology. It's called "Whitelight Tooth Whitening System". But does it really work? We put it to the test and can now tell you our results.
Firstly, let's look at the information on the packaging.
NEW! WhiteLight (TM) Tooth Whitening System. Whiten teeth FAST using Light Technology! Results in just 10 "minutos".
Dr. Harvey Silverman DMD, FASDA, FABAD: "White Light, now you can effectively whten your teeth at home."
Shandi Finnessey Miss USA 2004, White Light believer: "I know the im portance of a beautiful smile... you should try the WhiteLight System!"
Fast, Convenient, Easy To use!
Targets & Removes Tough Stains. Easy to maintain for Long Lasting Results!
And, the kiss of death line: "AS SEEN ON TV!"
Well, I suppose my teeth could use some whitening so I bought it. The black chick at the till told me "This really works!", and she pulled back her lips to show me teeth that are so milky white, they're almost a light blue against her dark skin. Did she really get that with this product? I wonder, but who am I to distrust people who are selling me something. Well, the proof is in the pudding, so I went home and tried it for myself. I hoped I could get the same results as the lady at the till.
According to the instructions, first, you should brush your teeth.
Then, open the WhiteLight package. There are two pieces of soft rubbery plastic in it that easily attach one to the other. This forms a dental tray that you can later on put in your mouth.
But first, you take one of the tubes of gel, and apply some gel to the dental tray.
Then place the dental tray so it fits over your upper and lower teeth.
Next, you place a Light Transmitter against the dental tray. The Light Transmitter is a small little device that you have to hold with your lips. A switch on top of it turns on a little blue light. This light in combination with the gel is apparently what is supposed to whiten your teeth.
After some minutes, the dental tray started hurting my gums on the left side, and was rather uncomfortable to hold in while I wait for the blue light to turn off. But I just held it.
According to the instructions, the Light Transmitter should turn off by itself after ten minutes, and your treatment is done. However, mine didn't and after 20 minutes I stopped by myself.
Are my teeth perfectly white now? Let's have a look at the before and after picture. Warning: My teeth aren't the prettiest or straightest or most perfect you've ever seen, so sensitive readers, you've been warned.
Do you see any difference? Yes, maybe slightly; the before picture seems to show more yellow teeth, however that might just be the photos' white balance that isn't quite the same on both pictures. But perhaps this 10 minute (which turned out to be 20 minutes in my case since the blue light didn't turn off as it should) "whitening" treatment did make a slight difference.
All in all, after one treatment, I'm not really wowed. However, as they say in the instructions, you might do the ten minute cycle three times in a row for a total of 30 minutes. Or for "intense whitening", you may do it for 30 minutes a day for up to 5 days.
I haven't done it that much yet because I lost interest and don't really have 30 minutes for a week to walk around with a rubber dental tray and a blue light transmitter in my mouth, with drool running like waterfalls out of the corners of my mouth (note that you'll need something to dry up your drool with while using this device).
So if you think the results displayed here makes you feel like using this product, go ahead and see if it creates actually white teeth if you use it like crazy. Then please come post your findings in the comments section.
This product actually might work if you use it for days in a row for half an hour each time, who knows; however as demonstrated here, clearly the "Only 10 minutes!" advertised treatment alone will not quite turn your teeth into blinding reflectors. It's probably not quite "FAST" as advertised.
Top Five Cosmetics and Makeup Brands: Elf, Ulta, Smashbox, StrawberryNet, Too Faced Review & Coupon Code
When it comes to makeups and cosmetics, it seems that women have to choose between quality and price. As wonderful products become more and more expensive, it seems that the reasonably priced drug store alternatives have become of lower and lower quality. Nothing can boost confidence like perfectly applied makeup and therefore its important to use quality products that you are comfortable with. But at the same time, your pocketbook also needs to be comfortable with the prices. These five companies offer high quality products of moderate prices that are more than worth it. With the makeups listed here, you'll be more than confident enough for that big interview, big date, or even just grocery shopping!
- Elf Cosmetics is very inexpensive
- High quality makeup
- Earn points through rewards program to earn gifts and extra discounts
- Shipping is often free and very fast (standard shipping sometimes arrives within 3 days of ordering!)
- Because they are run through a website and do not have their own stores, you can't try on colors of makeup or products before purchasing without going to an expensive boutique.
- EXTREMELY LOW! Some products are as low as $1
- Same low prices as drug stores but of much higher quality
- Lowest prices of these five
- Smashbox Cosmetics offers kits for inexperienced buyers or for seasoned make-up veterans ready to mix it up. For example, they offer multi-packs of concealers to match colors just perfectly, smokey eyeshadow kits with instructions, and more
- Smashbox offers the PhotoFinish Primer, a wonderful product that softens and brightens the appearance of the face. Trust me, I've used it, it is magical
- Smashbox offers enough options to meet all skin types, not just cookie-cutter categories
- Smashbox is cruelty-free--they don't test their products on animals
- Smashbox Cosmetics is more expensive than drug store and grocery store brands.
- Like elf store, because they are run through a website and do not have their own stores, you can't try on colors of makeup or products before purchasing without going to an expensive boutique.
- Smashbox is one of most expensive groups of make-up in this article, but is by far the highest quality and much less expensive than the highest class of department store makeup
- The PhotoFinish Primer, a best seller, costs $32 for a reasonably large amount
- Currently offering 25% off on orders for their Beauty Blowout Sale
- ULTA offers brands like Smashbox (listed above), Chi, Urban Decay, and Pur Minerals
- ULTA has stylists on hand and a website full of advice to help choose between brands
- ULTA has an in-store salon, which, though not complimentary, is wonderful for trying out a new style or getting ready for a big event like a wedding or prom
- Because they are sold in a boutique setting, products are generally somewhat marked up in price
- Salespeople and stylists in the store are said to be very pushy
- Prices slightly more expensive than all the others ranked here
- In-store salon runs between $40-$60 for an hour long appointment (hair and makeup will take an hour each)
- Too Faced allows customers to create custom palettes online
- Same makeup is used in movies and television programs
- Too Faced offers free samples with orders
- Free shipping on orders over $50
- Too Faced is more expensive than Elf Cosmetics
- Too Faced offers no subtle options, only very flashy make-ups
- No stores in which to try colors before buying
- On par with ULTA and Smashbox, much more expensive than Elf Cosmetics
- A Too Faced eye shadow palette goes for $36 but valued at $72
- StrawberryNET offers worldwide shipping for free
- StrawberryNET discounts for orders of 6 or more items
- Very large range of products
- StrawberryNET can locate even most discontinued products by using their global supply network
- Shipping can take a while because the products may be shipped or located across the globe
- Customs can charge delivery fees if buying out of country--however, with proof of charges, StrawberryNET will refund you
- Once again, lower than department store prices.
- Pricing about equal Too Faced, ULTA, and Smashbox, but more expensive than Elf Cosmetics
- Free shipping worldwide
- They offer individual eye colors for $16.50 and an "Intro to Eyes" Tutorial Kit for $46.00
Bottom line, these five different brands and retailers offer extremely high quality makeup that you can buy without going bankrupt. All of these wonderful options allow for the feel and confidence of high-end department store cosmetics without the price tag. Of the five, Elf Cosmetics is certainly the most cost-effective, but Smashbox Cosmetics offers the highest quality make-up.
ULTA offers the most support for use of the make-up, offering in-store instruction and also a salon within which clients can have hair and make-up done by appointment. Too Faced offers the most customizable products and shopper choices and StrawberryNET puts forth the most effort to accommodate any and all requests for obscure make-ups. Each has their own strength and weakness, but all five of these companies are fantastic market leaders when it comes to affordable, effective makeup.
Comparison of Too Faced makeup and cosmetics to Smashbox makeup to find the best and most affordable option between the two. No matter what makeup you're looking for, Smashbox or Too Faced will have you covered.
Whether you're shopping online from a beauty store or visiting Sephora in the mall, it's not hard to become overwhelmed with all the choices. In this review, I narrowed it down to two commonly-found make up brands and compared them on quality, price, ingredients, color and durability of packaging.
So do you go for the less expensive option that you plan to wear less often or do you fork over up to $20 more per product and have it last for months?
Are you looking for dual-purpose products, such as those that include SPF and moisturizer?
I answered these questions and many more during my comparison of Smashbox to Too Faced.
Smashbox makeup and cosmetics are available at any high-end beauty retail store, such as Ulta or Sephora.
Smashbox has been a favorite make up brand of magazines and celebs since the invention of their shades of makeup primer. With green to reduce redness, blue with hydration ingredients, clear for a perfect "photo finish" and a cream color with SPF 15, Smashbox is well known for a wide selection of quality pre-makeup options.
In this review, I expected more from Smashbox, due to the higher price point than Too Faced. And they delivered. For quality and price, it's the better choice. Here are some reasons why:
- Quality, skin-smoothing ingredients
- Lasting colors and primers that stay on longer than the Too Faced options
- Many more options with SPF
- Durable packing for travel and daily use
- "Adult"-centric color choices and choices for mature skin
- Dual purpose make up such as hydrating primer and hydrating powder
- A "Try It" kit that has miniatures of all Smashbox options. You can get started for a very reasonable $20, when purchased from Sephora
- Too Faced and Smashbox comparable eye palettes are a whole $20 apart, which Smashbox coming out the more expensive option
- Limited Smashbox selection in some stores. Highly recommended to shop online
Too Faced, like Smashbox is also available at beauty stores and online. Too Faced seems geared toward a younger generation and much of the make up comes in sets or large palattes of colors.
- Fun Colors and packaging
- A lot more bang for your buck than Smashbox. Especially with kits such as the "Two Faced On the Prowl" kit for $26 or the Eye Shadow Insurance for $18, the Smashbox eye primer is a smaller tube and $20
- Wide selection of eye colors, mascaras and skin primers meaning something for everyone
- Extremely impractical for traveling
- Cases and containers are not durable enough for daily use
- Too many choices in one set, such as the Too Faced Natural Eye Collection for $36. This color group that should have 3-4 selections has 9.
- Low-quality lip gloss that wears off easily
The Bottom Line
Through pricing a wide variety of products as well as testing many of the products myself, I found Smashbox to be the clear winner. It lasts longer, looks better and uses higher quality ingredients. While Too Faced make up most definitely has its place, it's likely for younger women or women who are just beginning to experiment with make up. Someone who needs quality products that they plan to wear every single day will be happier choosing Smashbox.
Plus, the dual ingredients (such as moisturizing primer with SPF) will allow you to skip steps and your face will thank you for it. Too Faced had very few products with SPF and fewer still with hydrating qualities. However, if you're looking for a wide selection of eye color, their palettes had more color choices than the same version from Smashbox.
Two of the premiere cosmetics and beauty products suppliers are Ulta and Sally Beauty Supply. Here, the two are compared and contrasted to provide an overview for the consumer as to which to select. Each is well-known among shoppers of beauty products and each has a long-running, well-established customer base. This review, however, will direct shoppers as to which of the businesses may be best tailored to suit their needs. On the one hand is the stylish Ulta with their makeup artists and salons; on the other sits the more stripped-down Sally Beauty Supply, which is set up more like a miniature warehouse for cosmetologists.
Ulta is a premiere supplier of beauty supplies, hair care, and personal care items. The first notable thing about Ulta is the fact that they carry such a wide variety of products. Whether one is looking for a particular line of salon-style hair conditioner, the newest lipstick shade, or a special body soap, Ulta can fit the bill. The website is easy to use and simply laid out; the actual stores are no different. Stylishly arrayed with every category easy to find, the Ulta stores are clean and classy. It is as easy to find a product on the shelf as it is to find on the website - something not to often seen with suppliers of any product, much less the daunting world of beauty supplies with the myriad types of product available.
Ulta offers many coupon codes online to save shoppers money, as well as bundle deals. For instance, any order on the Ulta website gives a shopper three free samples, all the time! Not just a supplier of makeup and shampoo, hardware items like the Revlon Ion Pro Stylist Dryer ($22.99), the Hot Tools Gold Tapered Iron ($74.99), and the Neuro 1"unclipped styling rod ($99.95) can be found, as well. In-store, makeup and nail artists give advice, display samples, and educate shoppers on how to choose the products that best suit their needs.
Ulta generally carries better-quality items than other stores; name-brands and well-known designers are the norm, here. Brands like Maybelline and Revlon find themselves seated alongside Ulta's own line of product. Notable are the hair-care products that are offered as kits; Ulta refers to these as "value kits" on the website. Kits like the Bright Beginning 30 Day Discovery Kit ($48.00) and the Ever Straight - Brazilian Keratin Therapy Conditioner ($7.99) offer buyers the chance to buy in bundles and save over the price of purchasing each individual product.
Sally Beauty Supply
Sally Beauty Supply is another well-known supplier of beauty items. Sally Beauty Supply is a great place to buy in large quantity or to get a great deal - if the shopper is already educated on what items they need. Unlike ULTA, with stylists standing by in-store to teach about the products, Sally Beauty Supply is more warehouse-like and caters to those who are already well-acquainted with the items for which they shop.
I personally asked the owner of a salon who is a cosmetologist and stylist about Sally Beauty Supply and what the benefits of shopping there are for her. She stated that for buying items in bulk and getting salon equipment, Sally is much better for shopping than ULTA, as ULTA has higher prices and tends to cater to the mass population rather than those "in-the-know." The weakness of Sally Beauty Supply, however, is that off-the-street shoppers may not recognize the brands carried and might not be as apt to find what they're looking for. It may also intimidate shoppers that they are left on their own to know how each product is best used.
The Bottom Line
The bottom line is that those who are looking for extensive input on what products to purchase or how to apply a certain type of cosmetic product will be best served by shopping at Ulta. Likewise for those who favor popular brands that they will easily recognize. If a shopper is looking to actually have makeup applied for them by a trained professional, the easy choice is Ulta, as this is not an available option for shoppers of Sally Beauty Supply.
If, however, one is well-versed in how to use various cosmetic products and hair care items and does not need extra assistance in finding what they are looking for, Sally Beauty Supply can be a real money-saver. This is not to say that the staff at Sally Beauty Supply are not knowledgeable nor that they will not give customer assistance, it is simply to say that they are set up for a different type of customer base and do not offer stylist kiosks for the application of product. For those who own salons or cosmetology studios, Sally Beauty Supply is an easier option both for price and bulk purchase.
The majority of women actually have uneven lips, so don’t worry you are not alone. Some more obvious celebrity examples includes; Stella McCartney and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Let’s take a look at ways to correct the balance with cosmetics.
Uneven lips take two major forms the first is a difference between the top and bottom lip fullness. The second is a difference on one side versus the other. Each type benefits from specific application tips.
How to apply makeup to lips that are uneven from top to bottom:
Many women have lips that are fuller at the bottom and thinner on top. A full bottom pout is often considered an attractive trait, because it creates a seductive effect. If however you feel like the difference is too pronounced there are makeup tips that can help.
In this instance begin by lining the upper lip slightly outside the lip line and the bottom lip just inside the lip line. Then when applying lipstick try applying a slightly darker shade of lipstick to the bottom and a lighter shade on top. Ensure the difference in colors is minor otherwise you could end up looking silly. Light colors help to make an area look bigger. Also try applying a touch of gloss to the center of the top lip.
How to apply makeup to lips that are uneven side to side:
If your lips are uneven from one side to the other, the application of makeup to the lips can be quite difficult. What you need to do is carefully redefine the boundaries of your lips. Try outlining just outside the natural lip line on the thinner half of the lip. At this point if necessary line just inside the fuller side if there is still a difference between your left and right lip lines. Apply lipstick to the lips carefully brushing up to each lip line you have drawn on.
-Don’t try to significantly re shape your lip line. Keep it natural by only slightly drawing outside or inside your natural lip line.
-Always use a lip brush when applying lipstick to uneven lips, because precise application is vital.
-Always ensure your lip liner pencil is sharp as you need a fine point to achieve precise lines.
-If you struggle to apply makeup effectively to rebalance your lips, you can simply stick to using lip gloss products on bare lips as they don’t tend to exacerbate an uneven lip line.
-Help balance your lips by applying a little foundation to bigger points prior to applying lip line. This can help to diminish the imbalance.
Image credit: http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/524292
Three outdoor photography makeup tips and tricks:
1. Control shine
One of the most important considerations is shine control. Have your ever looked at a photograph of yourself and noticed that your skin looks greasy? Any tiny amount of oil on the skin is magnified when you are photographed outside. It is therefore important to create a matt base on your skin. Ideally start by using a primer that can neutralize excess oil.
Look for foundation that says it is a matt formulation, rather than a dewy style. After you have applied foundation, always follow up with a little powder, at least on the forehead, nose and chin, which are typically oilier areas. If your skin is oily, you will probably need a decent application, in this instance, try applying the powder with a puff, and pressing it into the skin. If your skin is more mature, you may be best off with a light dusting in the t zone only, as powder can settle into lines.
If you will be outside for quite some time it is also a good idea to carry some oil blotting papers around with you. These have a light dusting of powder on them and can correct any shine that breaks through during the day.
2. Apply enough color
If you are going to be photographed somewhere bright and sunny, the light can end up making your face look drained of color. In this instance it is wise to choose a lip color that is brighter than usual, or apply more than you usually would. Also try deepening your blush a little. Even in indoor photography a lot of makeup comes up looking lighter than in reality.
It is generally best to avoid been photographed in a very bright and glary setting, because there are a few pitfalls. With one of the most common being that you are likely to struggle to keep your eyes open and therefore will squint. This can give you the appearance of bad crow’s feet. If you have any control over the location, look for well-lit locations where the sun comes from behind you rather than in front of you.
3. Use products with good staying power
The weather can be unpredictable, so if you are heading outside to be photographed it is a good idea to be prepared for all types of weather. When it comes to make up this means choosing formulations that will last under a variety of circumstances, for example, if it rains or is humid. Look for no budge and waterproof concealer, mascara, foundation, eyeliner and any other products you want to use. Virtually every type of cosmetic now comes in a stay put formula.
There are two basic types of ingredients in cosmetics. Their function and use is defined below.
Functional Ingredients are inactive ingredients that are used as a vehicle to apply cosmetics to the skin. The majority of cosmetic products consist of Functional ingredients, which gives the product texture, spreadability, and its specific form. Examples might include cream, lotion, or gel.
Performance (Cosmeceutical) Ingredients are active ingredients that cause change to the skins appearance. These are the ingredients in cosmetics that actually benefit the skin directly.
Cosmetic companies are governed by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in regards to product labeling. Companies must list their name, the location and address of the distribution point, and the ingredients contained in each product. Ingredients are always listed in descending order of quantity contained, and are helpful for safety reasons, especially concerning allergies.
Functional and Performance ingredients can be broken down into eight basic categories.
Ingredient 1: Water
Water benefits cosmetic products by helping spread the product and mix other ingredients in the solution. It also replenishes moisture into the skin, which is vital considering water makes up the majority of our skin cells.
Ingredient 2: Emollients (fatty ingredients)
Emollients aid in the spreadability of the product and also helps to keep the product in place. It lubricates the skin and fills in the gaps to provide a smooth skin appearance.
Ingredient 3: Surfactants
Surfactants function to reduce surface tension between the skin’s surface and the product, allowing for better cosmetic performance. Surfactants come as (1) Detergents which lift dirt and oil off the skin and (2) Emulsifiers which keep water and oil blended in a product, preventing the customer from needing to vigorously shake it repeatedly.
Ingredient 4: Thickeners or Texturizers
Thickeners and Texturizers work to give consistency to gel-like products, allowing for easier spreadability and a more consistent feel.
Ingredient 5: Fragrance
Fragrances are used is cosmetics primarily for their sensory effects rather than their functionality. Fragrances are not necessary for the effectiveness of a product and are the most common causes of allergic reactions.
Ingredient 6: Preservatives
Preservatives keep bacteria out of products and stop chemical changes from occurring that hinder the effectiveness of the cosmetic.
Ingredient 7: Colour Agents
Colour Agents add colour to the product and are responsible for cosmetic effects (ex. the specific colour of eyeshadow, blush etc.).
Ingredient 8: Humectants (Hydrators/Moisturizers)
Humectants draw water to the skins surface, helping to ensure healthy skin hydration. Most moisturizers are a combination of humectants and emollients.